Montag, August 01, 2016

... in five minutes - Lorenza Gentile


Place of your birth?
Milan
Are you a morning person or a late riser?
Morning person! The best of my energy comes in the early morning, just after breakfast.
Favourite TV Series / or film?
The Hours, Amelie Poulin, Sophie’s Choice.
Your idol?
Everyone who stands up and fights for his or other people’s rights.
When did you start writing?
I started writing short stories when I was a teenager, while I wrote my first novel, TEO, at 22.
Food / drink you like most?
All freshly squeezed juices, almonds, ice cream, sweets in general and whiskey on the rocks :)
Who or what inspires you?
The people around me, philosophy and art.
Is there something that you would like to learn?
To forgive others’ imperfections and mine more often
Your favorite place?
Anywhere near the sea
What is your favorite genre in music?
Songs by songwriters like Fabrizio De André, Lucio Battisti, Franco Battiato, Leonard Cohen and all the twist and swing from the 50s onwards!
Is your desk tidy or reigns there a chaos?
My desk is never the same, I write in bars, trains and parks… But when I write at home or edit, the desk becomes soon quite chaotic! I take out books, photographs, objects for inspiration and they pile up. I try to tidy it up at the end of the day though, as I must find it clean the following morning to be inspired again.
Do you have pets?
I have had all the pets one can think of, included turtles, a chick and a rabbit. But I have none now as I travel too often.
Do you have a vice / guilty pleasure?
Loads.
Favorite town or favorite country?
I love travelling and discovering new places, and I have a strong connection with London, Milan, Paris and Lisbon.
Besides writing, what else would be your dream job?
Being a dancer, no doubt.
With whom would you like to go for dinner once (living or deceased / real or fictitious person)? Probably Shakespeare, just to see what kind of man he was!
What is your zodiac sign?
Taurus, ascendent cancer.
Do you have a favorite word?
Yes! I always have one and it changes all the time. At the moment my favourite Italian word is: “pingue”, which is close to the English word “chubby” but it says much more about the personality of the person I think, there’s some softness to it which I love. Plus it’s an old fashioned word, which makes it poetic.
Your favourite colour?
Red. And blu.
Which book are you reading at the moment?
The broom of the system by David Foster Wallace
What three things would you take to a desert island?
An e-reader with endless battery and endless books on, a notepad and a pen 


The following book by Lorenza Gentile is available in German: